Cleaning the brush is as important as choosing the right brush.
No, we are not talking about cleaning the exteriors. Rinsing would rather be the right term here – rinsing the brush of bacteria and germs. Toothbrush sanitizer is a Herculean device that takes care of all the germs and bacteria that could potentially settle on your toothbrush head.
And yes, good ones work with both electric and manual toothbrushes. So what are some of the best options in electric toothbrush sanitizers?
We look at five of the best ones available in the market today. Also, know what you need to check in a sanitizer before buying.
Philips Sonicare UV Sanitizer Editor’s Choice
Sonicare Healthy White Sanitizer Good Alternative
|Philips Sonicare UV Sanitizer|
|UV Clean Technology|
|All Around Clean|
|Kills up to 99% bacteria|
|One touch operation|
|Auto cleaning & shut-of after 10 minutes|
|2 brush head storage|
|Fits with most of the toothbrush head|
Toothbrush sanitizer! Is that thing real?
Yes, real and happening! If you have been using a toothbrush without many precautions all this while, you need to know that there are germs all around.
And these germs settle down on the head of the toothbrush, the bristles and wherever else they sense an opportunity. To counter that, you will need to find a way to sanitize the toothbrush after use. And this is where a toothbrush sanitizer kicks in.
It sanitizes your toothbrush of leftovers and kills almost all the germs present on the head. It is mostly on you whether you want to use the sanitizer before or after brushing.
UV sanitizer and ultraviolet light based toothbrush sanitizer! Is there is a difference?
It is mostly different literature that they use for the marketing. But in effect, these sanitizers are one and the same.
UV is ultraviolet and manufacturers are generally free to choose any one between the two. But what is more important is realizing that most UV sanitizers are responsible for the deft handling of toothbrushes after they are done working on the germs and bacteria.
The good thing about UV or ultraviolet sanitizers is that they are able to handle both electric and manual toothbrushes with the same existing technology. So you do not need to look for a difference between the two really.
What transforms a toothbrush sanitizer into a total solution?
- Breathtaking germ killing ability: It is not upon sanitizers to clean brushes only on the outside. Most electric toothbrushes are equipped with decent enough cleaning mechanisms.The real efficacy of the sanitizer is in cleaning germs and bacteria from the face of the toothbrush. In effect, this is quite the cardinal motif of the device and you cannot afford to play it down.
- Brand adaptability: A great concern for toothbrush sanitizers is the kind of brand that they support. Now different sanitizers come with different options as far as the level of adaptability goes.Some support only toothbrushes from the same brand and some others extend courtesy to a couple of other devices too. Be very specific about the toothbrush you are using and the one you plan to use later.
- Convenience cordial: If you are using a product that is high in technology, there is a good chance it will also be high on convenience. One of the first things you will need to identify here is how much of the job you will have to do for yourself and how much the device does for you. Go for it if the balance is shifted toward the latter.
- The cost concern: The real question about the cost comes in combine with the longevity of the toothbrush sanitizer. If the sanitizer is really prepared to last long, you may as well shell out some additional money for it.The effectiveness must be top-notch too. You would not want to spend out the life of the sanitizer with a grudge.
- Number of brushes: The number of brushes the toothbrush sanitizer can sanitize at once is not as important. But if you have children in the family, you will know how things can become difficult on short notice.This is where something that can tackle multiple brushes together will come in handy. Make sure the compartmentalization has been done well to avoid cross-contamination.
- Toothpaste holder: Again, this is not a top of the list necessity. But it is always good to have an extra hold for the toothpaste in the device that holds your toothbrush. You do not want to be running around the house looking for the spot your toothpaste was last spotted. Trust us, it helps.
Our top 5 recommended sanitizer reviews
The Sonicare UV sanitizer from Philips has been specially engineered to kill bacteria from the brush heads of bacteria. All you need to do is make a simple button push and the head safeguards you against bacteria.
The device turns off automatically once you leave the device for 10 minutes. Once the UV cycle is complete, you can retrieve fresh heads for yourself. Along with SoniCare, you may also use the sanitizer for other brush heads like the Oral-B Floss Action and Oral-B Flexisoft.
Along with the healthy sanitizing, you also get a storage solution with the Philips Sonicare sanitizer. You can also use it with the Sonicare e-series toothbrushes. Please note that no toothbrush is included in the model.
Some product literature that suggests differently could be misleading. The 10 minute cycle is enough to kill 99% of the bacteria sitting on the brush head. The UV Sanitizer is capable of holding up to two brush heads together.
- Holds two toothbrush heads.
- Uses a 10-minute cleaning cycle.
- Works with Oral-B models too.
- Uses UV rays to kill germs.
- Can also serve as toothbrush storage.
- Adults have better options.
- No way to verify sanitization.
- Less sturdy build.
The Hx6150 from Philips Sonicare is capable of charging any 900 Series Flexcare and also does well with the 700 series heads. The combo sanitizer and charger base is a good foil if you wish to charge all Sonicare, Kids and Flexcare handles.
This is obviously a bonus as you do not get the charge feature with most toothbrush sanitizers. The sanitizing action of the toothbrush cuts across several kinds of brush heads and does well on Sonicare, HydroClean and ProResults head.
The one major downside we spotted with the Hx6150 is the shipping. Apparently, the product is supposed to ship just as you see it and will not have a protective packaging.
This could be a concern for long distance deliveries. However, you could avoid this anytime by just choosing the right seller out of the lot. Overall, this sanitizer performs fairly well and lives up to the Philips lineage.
- Comes with a charger combo base.
- Works on every flex care.
- Equally good with 700 Series heads.
- Impressively priced.
- Supports healthy white series 7.
- Shipping issues may persist.
- Does not have the toughest body around.
The Violife VIO100 is a terrific toothbrush sanitizer that comes with the goodness of advanced features embedded into less space. The device is capable of holding 4 toothbrushes at a time.
This includes toothbrushes for children as well as heads of electric toothbrushes. You can activate the sanitizer with just one button. The good thing about it is that there is no trouble even if you forget to turn it off. It shuts off automatically after about 10 minutes.
The Violife VIO100 comes with a separate chambers and a removable drip cup. This way the brushes do not contaminate one another.
And one of the best things about the Violife VIO100 is the way in which your personal style meets personal care. You also get a limited warranty of a year against any defects in manufacturing. The sanitizer is capable of removing up to 99.9% bacteria from the toothbrush head every time.
- Can hold 4 toothbrushes.
- Blend of care and style.
- Heads do not contaminate one another.
- Comes with a drip cup.
- Removes 99.9% bacteria.
- Grows mold in rare cases.
- Not the best for electric toothbrushes.
The Germ Terminator sanitizer for toothbrush is a unique foil for a toothbrush sanitizer as it uses only steam to clean toothbrushes and sanitize them. The question is how effective is that when compared to UV cleaning?
First off, let us tell you that the process is quick. It takes very less time to get effected and you literally need to use it for just a few seconds after daily brushing. It is compatible with all makes and models of toothbrushes – manual and toothbrushes.
The Germ Terminator has been modeled after the steam devices they use in most dental offices. In this regard, it will be worthwhile to note that the device executes the application neatly for the most part.
However, the cleaning action cannot be compared to the sterilization of some of the UV devices around. Even then, it promises to remove more than 99% of toothbrush germs. You can go for it if you are willing to go for sanitization right after brushing.
- Kills 99% of germs.
- Modeled after steam devices.
- Goes well with manual and electric brushes.
- Takes just a few seconds to sanitize.
- Works well only for a year.
- Not very durable as a unit.
The Pursonic S20 is a healthy toothbrush sanitizer that uses UV light especially detrimental for germs. It is capable of removing up to 99.9% of bacteria sitting on the toothbrush.
The design has been framed in view of the utility for the entire family. It can store up to five brush heads at a time. There is an integrated auto-timer in the unit and you can time it between 5 and 8 minutes to make sure the operation does not overstretch. In this way, you can also avoid having to monitor the sanitizer all the time.
As soon as you close the door, the timer starts working and the device auto starts. The timer is shut off after the stipulated time.
There is no harm if the brushes stay in there for longer. The device is wall mountable and comes with an included toothpaste holder. You do not have to engage another stand for the toothpaste alone.
- Comes with a toothpaste holder.
- Can hold up to 5 toothbrushes.
- Works for the entire family.
- UV light germ killing.
- Kills 99.9& germs.
- Lacks lower section UV light.
- Does not hold many heads well.
We for the Philips Sonicare UV Sanitizer!
The Philips Sonicare sanitizer is an unbeatable sanitizer if you are already using a Philips Sonicare electric toothbrush. It also supports Oral-B Flexcare and Oral-B Floss Action brush heads.
In less than 10 minutes, it gives you the best germ cleaning you expect from a good sanitizer. The Philips Sonicare uses UV rays to terminate 99.99% germs and bacteria from the toothbrush. You may also use the Philips Sonicare sanitizer as storage for toothbrushes.
The best toothbrush sanitizer could be many things to you. But you should really stick to the germ cleaning more than just looking for a toothbrush storage option.