Oral irrigation begins where manual brushing ends. It gives you greater plaque removal, better control over germ growth and gumline treatment, all at the same time. And the good thing is, all this happens in less than a minute every day. However, the sad bit is you are spoilt for choice, yet again. There are too many good oral irrigators floating around on the web. To cut the chase easy for you, we bring you a collection of five of the best oral irrigators out there. Watch out for the ones that work for braces too!
>>If you are in a hurry, Check out our straight recommendation: Updated Version Professional Oral Irrigator
Water irrigators are oral hygiene devices that are also known as gingival water jets. Most users effect removal of food crumbs, plaque and other debris from between the teeth. It also helps removal and clearance of bacteria from the mouth. Oral irrigators have also proved implemental in restoring gum health over time. Apart from these, oral irrigators have also been occasionally as implements for cleaning jewelry. But the devices continue to remain dental hygiene essentials. At times, oral irrigators have also been reported to prevent teeth sores.
Water flosser and oral irrigator: what’s the difference really?
There is not much difference between oral irrigators and water flossers if you consider the end results and effects only. Oral irrigators are chiefly concerned with removal of plaque, food debris and overall maintenance of gum health. The utility set for water flossers appears a little more varied though. Most modern water flossers come with several different tips that are aimed at varied functionalities. These help daily flossing and address related issues like gum swelling. Flossers may also include different modes like whitening, polishing, cleaning, gum care and nasal cleaning.
When buying an oral irrigator, check for:
- Durable battery cycles:If you are not too sure about carrying the product from and to the bathroom repeatedly, you should ensure it has go long battery life. You do not want to land up with something that stops performing on just one half of the mouth. This may create additional problems if you are not too sure. Make sure you get at least an hour worth of battery.
- Convenience:How easy is the irrigator to use? If the device is not easy enough to use, you should look for something that is pretty convenient to use. When the mechanism for use is comfortable, you will be attracted to use the device daily. For good oral irrigators, the mechanism of use is very simple yet succinct.
- Crack down on plaque: A lot is told in the way in which the irrigator handles gingivitis and plaque. As it, tackling plaque is one of the toughest challenges that oral irrigators face. This naturally becomes one of the two chief operations of the device. Look for the nuances like the performance between teeth and below the gumline.
- Performance onimplants: There is every reason an oral irrigator should be able to take the weight of braces. For people wearing braces, the function of an oral irrigator gets multiplied a few times. Such irrigators may cost you a tad more. But you can rest assured about the kind of performance you receive.
- Modes and modules: You will have noticed that most oral irrigators now come with different modes and modules. While most of these modes do not hold much meaning, there are some that are actually effective with sensitive teeth, gums and greater plaque removal. But it is important not to go all mode about it.
- Wallet wobble:There isalways a value that you look to earn for the money you spend. The same applies for the money you spend on the oral irrigator. Make sure the device lasts long enough to give you the kind of service you are looking for. In our experience, water-based electric devices are generally short-lived.
Top 5 recommended oral irrigator reviews
The rechargeable Oral Irrigator from ToiletTree Products is an update of the existing version and we must submit – ToiletTree Products have got most things right with this one. The new version is equipped with Li-ion batteries and comes with a tank that fills up like a breeze. There is a very quiet motor and a tip release button that go with the flow and give you added performance on the go. There are three operating modes in the product – soft, normal and pulse.
While the Pulse and Soft modes cater to soft cleaning and sensitive tooth and gum massaging respectively, you can always switch to the Normal mode for more. The Normal mode helps you take down bacteria and food particles stuck below the gumline. The universal voltage supported by the oral irrigator allows you to take the ToiletTree Products oral irrigator around the world. It has been approved by the FDA and is free from BPA.
- FDA approved and BPA free.
- Universal voltage; can travel with you.
- Three operating modes.
- Pulse mode for sensitive gums.
- Enough power for taking down bacteria.
- Standard durability issues.
- Inconvenient on/off switch.
- Top nozzle underperforms.
- Loose wire connections.
The FDA approved water flosser neatly doubles up as an oral irrigator and to good cause. The penetrating water jet of the irrigator helps you reach areas and places that are otherwise difficult to reach. These are mostly the interdental pockets and the space between the gumline. These are the same areas where conventional toothbrushes may not be able to reach.The superior 3D cleaning technology of the irrigator combines rotations, oscillations and pulsations to give you superior cleaning.
The combined effect of the technologies help breaks up 99.9% additional plaque when the jet meets the teeth. Compared to using a manual toothbrush, you get a lot of additional smile for the day. The action below the gumline is of particular help since it allows you to reach a place normal brushing does not. The nozzle of the irrigator rotates 360°. There are interchangeable nozzles so more people in the family can make use of the same device.
- FDA approved 3D cleaning action.
- Comes with interchangeable nozzles.
- Reaches between teeth and below the gumline.
- Does not require batteries of wall power.
- Not better than conventional flossing.
- Regular quality control issues.
- Not as powerful as other irrigators.
The Gurin Professional oral irrigator is a hit already with the high capacity water tank that it comes with. It is a really large tank that is sufficiently easy to fill. That goes along well with the quiet motor. The oral irrigator has been approved by the FDA and is free from BPA. Depending on the oral care need, you get three different modes of operation: pulse, soft and normal. The nozzle tips are coded into two colors and are interchangeable.
Since you get multiple nozzle tips with the Gurin Professional oral irrigator, many people can use it in the house. If you feel that your current oral care routine is not giving you the best results or the kind of results you would like to see, give this oral irrigator a chance. Also, you get sufficient value for money as the Gurin Professional lasts you quite a while. The reservoir of the irrigator is the biggest hit for us.
- Cordless design for better cleaning.
- Cleans between teeth and gumline.
- Good for dental implants and braces.
- Extra-large reservoir.
- Massages gums comfortably.
- Some parts need replacement at 3 months.
- Device is not waterproof.
The SmarToiletries Professional oral irrigator gives you a lot of options upfront with 3 different modes of operation. You can know about the different modes of operation with the help of the LED present on the device. The jet comes linked with a reservoir that has a water-capacity of 45 seconds. The dual design of the SmarToiletries Professional also makes up for easy water filling. All you really need to do is connect the reservoir to a tap.
The SmarToiletries Professional comes with daily oral irrigation option that helps you keep your mouth free from bacteria and food debris. The design is waterproof and you may use it inside the shower. The water pressure ejected by the SmarToiletries Professional irrigator varies from 40 to 90 PST and generates 1400 pulses every minute. The built-in lithium ion batteries give the device greater battery life and power. On the whole, we would recommend this oral irrigator for effective plaque removal.
- Low noise and waterproof design.
- Removes plaque below the gumline.
- Built-in li-ion batteries.
- Gives more power and battery life.
- Sits well with implants and braces.
- On/off button could be defective.
- Does not always hit max power.
The NEW Poseidon comes across as an oral irrigator that is meant for everyday cleaning. It takes care of the overall health of the mouth and does well with interdental cleaning. You can use it very simply. The assembly is really quick and it gets started in no time at all. The charging base of the device frees up the counter space of the bathroom and you have options open for other spaces as well.
You get 3 colored heads and tips with the irrigator. So, at least three people can use the irrigator without having to worry much about mixing. The design of the NEW Poseidon is compact and coded for small counter top spaces in the bathroom. The design is fairly attractive and you can use it even when you travel abroad. There is a year of replacement warranty should anything go wrong with the equipment and parts of the device.
- 1 year of satisfaction warranty.
- Guaranteed 100% satisfaction.
- Comes with separately colored nozzle tips.
- Large, easy to fill reservoir.
- Attractive counter-top design.
- Jet flow not too conducive.
- Starters might find it a little difficult.
Why the Updated Version – Professional Rechargeable Oral Irrigator is a straight winner?
The good thing about the professional oral irrigator is the FDA approval it got after the updates were installed and effected. It runs on universal voltage and you can actually carry it everywhere with yourself. There are three operating modes and the slowest speed suits people who are new to oral irrigation. You get a sensitive mode for massaging gums and there is a fast mode that takes down the toughest bacteria and food crumbs.
It is always safest to read the best oral irrigator reviews 2016 before you decide to make call on which one you want for yourself. Make sure you are high on jet!